Introduction to Myanmar
This introductory trip to Myanmar is a good way to visit the major highlights of Burma in a short time. You will be travelling from Yangon to Mandalay with stops enroute in Bagan and Inle.
Longer distances are covered by fast domestic flights, but you also cover some distance with a private guide and driver: the best way to experience the local village life.
Suggested Itinerary Introduction to Myanmar
- Arrival in Yangon, Myanmar's main international airport. Welcome at the the airport and private transfer by one of our staff members to your hotel in the historic heart of Yangon. You will have some time refresh after the flight and then you start a pleasant (guided) walk through the city center of colonial Yangon, ending with drinks in one of the bars in the city center.
- Early in the morning we drive in less than half an hour to the Shwedagon Pagoda. 99 meters high, situated on a small hill, It is visible from almost everywhere in Yangon. Together with your guide you will pay an extensive visit to this Golden Wonder. You will learn everything about the daily life that takes place in the area around the pagoda, gain insight into Buddhist philosophy and how it is mixed with the Burmese belief in 'nats' (spirits). You stroll through the surrounding markets, enjoy a traditional breakfast, meet local monks on their daily begging walk, visit a fortune-teller and end the morning with a delicious local lunch. The afternoon can be spend exploring Bogyoke Aung San Market, a huge bazaar in the centre of Yangon.
- Late morning flight to Mandalay. In the afternoon a first introduction to Mandalay with a visit to the great Mahamuni pagoda, to the ancient capital Amarapura and of course to the monastic complex of Mahagandayon. You end the day with a walk over the U Bein bridge where you can taste local rum.
- We start a busy day with a visit to The Greatest Book in the World and the teak monastery of Shwenandaw. Afterwards you will board a private boat for a trip upstream to Mingun for a visit to the pagoda. In about three hours you will continue to Ava, another ancient capital. Lunch is served onboard. Visit to Ava by ox cart and on foot along the ancient temple ruins that remind us of the 400 year glory period of Ava. By car we return to Mandalay.
- In the morning your private driver will pick you up for a visit to the Snake Temple of Paleik. Afterwards follows a long but interesting drive towards Bagan. Along the way you will pass numerous small, typical villages where the colorful life of the day unfolds before you. You will also stop at a little visited and remote rock temple and hike in the Minzontaung Wildlife Sanctuary. Together with a local ranger you go hiking in search of the rare Burmese Turtle. We end the day with a boat trip from Pakkoku to Bagan.
- Bagan is a city where one can spend days: wandering endlessly among the temples, enjoying the tranquility, ... This first day you will visit, together with a private guide, some of the most impressive temples. We have lunch in a local restaurant and then we go to a nice spot between the temples for an incomparable sunset.
- The 2nd day in Bagan starts with a highlight of every Myanmar trip: a balloon ride across the temples of Bagan, ending with a glass of bubbles after landing. From the hotel we make a nice day trip to Mount Popa and Salay. Mount Popa is an interesting place to visit from Bagan: it is the birthplace of the Naths, the 37 guardian spirits who play an important role in Burmese life.
of everyday life. We also stop at a little visited temple in Minnanthu, visit a local flower market and the beautiful village of She Si Tine.
In the afternoon we return via Salay with its old wooden monastery and its jungle overgrown temples. Overnight stay in Bagan.
- After breakfast flight to Heho. Upon arrival transfer to the cave complex of Pindaya where we find thousands of Buddha statues and have a wide view over the hills. We also visit an artisanal company where handmade paper and umbrella's are made. For lunch we stop in a Pao village at a local market. After lunch we drive further to Inle Lake. for the night in the Sanctum Inle Resort.
- Inle Lake is one of the most beautiful places in Myanmar. By boat we spend a whole day on the lake: we visit local markets and pagodas, get to know the famous leg rowers, see how the traditional cigars (cheroot) are rolled and enjoy the colors of the floating gardens. A cup of tea with a local family and a traditional lunch in an Intha house complete the idyllic picture.
- Transfer to the airport for flight to Yangon with onward connection or extension of the trip.
This is just a sample itinerary. As we work completely tailormade. feel free to contact us for a longer or shorter itinerary according to your wishes.
Prices depend on the hotelselection, travelperiod, number of persons, exchange rates,... Please ask for a quotation through our quotation form.